Concierge Medicine Provider Liable for Failure to Diagnose, More Than $7.5M Award

March 6, 2015 | Strategic Insights for Ambulatory Care


​A Florida jury has held a concierge medicine provider accountable for roughly $7.5 million in damages related to a diagnosis that was allegedly missed by one of its affiliated physicians. The patient claimed that a delay in referring her for a vascular workup resulted in an avoidable amputation of her leg above the knee. According to the complaint, she visited an internist affiliated with the concierge medicine service for complaints of coldness, numbness, pain, and tingling in her leg that were ultimately found to be caused by an undetected blood clot. According to the plaintiff's attorneys, the patient did not receive the "guaranteed exceptional outcomes" promised by the provider. The diagnosis was also missed by a specialist who was not affiliated with the concierge provider. According to news reports, the jury found the concierge medicine provider 95% responsible for the negligence and apportioned the other 5% of the fault to an orthopedic surgeon.

Access Full Content

Contact us today at 610.825.6000.