Evaluation: Stryker S3 Bed for Medical/Surgical Units
December 28, 2018 | Evaluations & Guidance
- The device is a fully motorized electric bed that allows patients and staff to adjust bed height and surface contours.
- Major device components and features:
- Bed frame
- The bed has a maximum safe working load (SWL) of 227 kg (500 lb), including mattress and accessories.
- The open platform deck in its non-extended position can hold a 89 cm (35 in) wide by 213 cm (84 in) long patient mattress or therapeutic support surface. With an add-on extender, the deck can be extended to 244 cm (96 in).
- The deck is divided into four segments that allow the bed to be electrically adjusted to the following positions: Fowler, semi-Fowler, Trendelenburg, reverse Trendelenburg, and cardiac chair.
- The lower leg section of the deck can be raised and lowered manually.
- A removable headboard and footboard facilitate access to the patient for certain procedures.
- Movable and latchable head and central siderails facilitate patient ingress and egress and protect patients from falls.
- Braking and steering system
- The centralized braking system can be activated from the two footpedals located at the centers of the right and left sides of the bed.
- A pedal at the head end of the bed can place the casters in a neutral or steering position.
- Patient controls
- The patient controls are mounted on the inside of each of the head siderails and on an optional removable handset.
- Patient controls allow the patient to adjust the angle of the backrest section and the height of the thigh section, as well as activate the nurse call.
- Optional patient controls allow control of the TV and room lights.
- Caregiver controls
- The main caregiver controls are located on the top of the bed's footboard.
- The footboard control panel includes buttons for full control of bed positioning, bed-exit monitoring, and the weight scale.
- The footboard control panel allows adjustments to the height of the bed, the angle of the backrest section, the height of the thigh section, Trendelenburg, and reverse Trendelenburg, and provides one-touch positioning for the chair position and CPR position.
- Bed-motion lockout to the patient controls and caregiver controls can be set from the footboard panel.
- Bed frame