Evaluation: Stryker InTouch Bed for Critical Care Units
January 30, 2019 | Evaluations & Guidance
- The device is a fully motorized electric bed that allows patients and staff to adjust bed height and mattress/surface contours.
- Major device components and features
- Bed frame
- The bed has a maximum safe working load (SWL) of 227 kg (500 lb), including mattress and accessories.
- The open platform deck in its non-extended position can hold a 89 cm (35 in) wide by 213 cm (84 in) long patient mattress or therapeutic support surface. With an add-on extender, the deck can be extended to 229 cm (90 in).
- The deck is divided into four segments that allow the bed to be electrically adjusted to the following positions: Fowler, semi-Fowler, Trendelenburg, reverse Trendelenburg, and cardiac chair.
- The lower leg section of the deck can be raised and lowered automatically.
- A removable headboard and footboard facilitate access to patients for certain procedures.
- Movable and latchable head and central siderails facilitate patient ingress and egress and protect patients from falls.
- Braking and steering system
- The centralized brake system can be activated and deactivated automatically using the brake buttons located on the outside of each head siderail, on the footboard, and at the bottom of the headboard.
- Pedals on the left and right sides of the bed also allow manual activation of the brakes and placement of the casters in a neutral or steering position.
- The Zoom motorized drive system provides battery-powered transport to ease the workload on the caregivers.
- Patient controls
- A nurse call button and speaker are mounted on the inside of each of the head siderails.
- An optional patient control pendant allows the patient to adjust the angle of the backrest section and the height of the thigh section, as well as to activate the nurse call and control reading lights, room lights, radio, and TV.
- Caregiver controls
- The main caregiver controls are located on the LCD touchscreen on the top of the bed's footboard.
- The footboard control panel includes buttons for full control of bed positioning, the weight scale, bed-exit monitoring, other alarms, protocol reminders, powered surface functions, and general bed options.
- The footboard control panel allows adjustments to the height of the bed, the angle of the backrest section, the height of the thigh section, Trendelenburg, and reverse Trendelenburg, and provides one-touch positioning for the chair position and CPR position.
- Bed-motion lockout to the patient controls and caregiver controls can be set from the footboard panel.
- Bed frame