Evaluation: GE Carescape B850 ICU Physiologic Monitoring System
December 20, 2017 | Evaluations & Guidance
- Depending on their configuration, physiologic monitoring systems measure and display waveforms and numeric data for various parameters, including ECG, respiratory rate, noninvasive blood pressure (NIBP) and invasive blood pressure (IBP) (systolic, diastolic, and mean), body temperature, pulse rate, arterial hemoglobin oxygen saturation (SpO2), mixed venous oxygen saturation (SvO2), cardiac output, end-tidal carbon dioxide (EtCO2), intracranial pressure, and airway gas concentrations (particularly during the administration of anesthesia).
Major components and software features: a) B850 high-acuity bedside monitor intended for continuous monitoring of adult, pediatric, and neonatal patients. The B850 is intended to:
- Admit and discharge patients via an automatically populated list from the hospital's admit/discharge/transfer (ADT) system by using a bar-code scanner or through a patient search
- Display numeric data, graphical trends, and waveforms received from a Patient Data Module (PDM), including visual and audible alarm signals
- Serve as a connectivity hub to integrate patient data from different stand-alone medical devices connected to the patient (e.g., ventilators, infusion pumps) using the Unity Network Interface Device (Unity Network ID)
- Communicate and transfer patient data to the CIC Pro central monitor over a wired Ethernet connection
- Display: 48.3 cm (19 in) LCD touchscreen
- Parameters monitored via acquisition modules, which provide connection to the patient, process data signals, and send data signals to the bedside monitor via the patient module. A variety of modules are available with different combinations of the parameters shown in the table.
GE Carescape B850: Parameters Monitored via Patient Data Modules Standard Parameters Maximum Number of Channels ECG (up to 12 leads) — Respiration 1 NIBP 1 Nellcor or Masimo SpO2Note: SpHb (noninvasive and continuous hemoglobin), SpCO (noninvasive and continuous carboxyhemoglobin), SpMet (noninvasive and continuous methemoglobin), and PVi (Pleth Variability Index) are optional functions available when using the built-in Masimo SpO2 module 1 Temperature 2 IBP 4 Cardiac output measurement (CO) 1 SvO2 1 Airway gas analysis (used primarily...