Evaluation: Baxter DoseEdge Pharmacy IV Compounding Workflow System
December 12, 2018 | Evaluations & Guidance
- The DoseEdge system is intended to aid in safe preparation of compounded sterile products (CSPs) in the pharmacy clean room by standardizing workflow and providing documentation (e.g., images) of compounding steps.
- Major device components and software features:
- DoseEdge workstation—Touchscreen computer used to operate DoseEdge software and to connect all accessories. The workstation is located near the laminar-airflow hood; alternatively, it can be held in a movable cart.
- DoseEdge software—Enables the following features:
- Pending-order dashboard—Outlines a list of pending patient orders, which are selected by the user to initiate preparation. Nurses may also use the DoseEdge dashboard to track the patient's medication orders in the care unit.
- Dose preparation—Guides the pharmacy technician and pharmacist through preparation steps for each dose, and records steps taken.
- Dose verification—Enables the pharmacist to ensure that the correct steps were taken to prepare the dose. Pharmacist remote dose verification is also supported via a web interface.
- Dose sorting—Enables preparation of the dose for final dispensing through creation of a final dispense label after the dose has been verified by the pharmacist. The label includes the patient information.
- Dose tracking—Enables the dose's location to be tracked from the pharmacy to the care unit.
- Dose ingredient management—Enables the recording of ingredient National Drug Codes (NDCs).
- Dose preparation step recording—A database that includes the ability to trace how a preparation was made, including a date- and time-stamped log and images related to the preparation.