Evaluation: Trumpf Medical TruLight 5520 Major LED Surgical Light
February 13, 2019 | Evaluations & Guidance
- The Trumpf Medical TruLight 5520 is used to provide high-quality, consistent, and shadow-free illumination for surgical teams to see into deep cavities in a patient's body.
- An optional high-definition (HD) video camera may be mounted in the central light handle that provides controllable views of the surgical site, which may be transmitted to video monitors around the OR; not all TruLight 5520 light heads are camera-ready.
- Major components and features:
- Ninety LEDs (two separate light hemispheres, separated by a gap where the central handle is attached), intended to redundantly overlap beams of light as a means of shadow dilution.
- Maximum light illuminance intensity: approximately 160,000 lux, as measured by ECRI.
- Six intensity settings from 50% to 100% illuminance
- Plus a dim "endo" mode for procedures requiring low light.
- High color rendering index (CRI) value of 93.
- Four values of color temperature (3,500 kelvins K, 4,000 K, 4,500 K, 5,000 K) for different specialties or surgeon preference.
- Claimed LED life of 40,000 hr.
- Large light head diameter of 27 in (68.6 cm), with LEDs spanning approximately 22 in (55.9 cm). (1) Trumpf Medical markets other series of TruLight surgical lights, listed below, each with different performance characteristics. ECRI did not evaluate the performance of these light heads.