The Partnership for Health IT Patient Safety (Partnership) provides public access to resources intended to help healthcare providers across the continuum of care address key health IT issues.
Monthly, participants receive information about Partnership activities as well as a targeted "data snapshot" looking at health IT-related events and providing some areas of thought on those topics:
- "Smart Pumps" Can't Prevent Infusion Errors Alone-January 2019
- How Health Information Technology Can Facilitate Safer Opioid Prescribing—October 2018
- Closing the Loop on Electronically Prescribed Medications That Have Been Discontinued—August 2018
- Closing the Loop on Patient Care and Treatment Delays—July 2018
- Mitigating the Pitfalls that can Arise with Upgrades—June 2018
- Opioid Crisis—Will Mandatory E-Prescribing Help?—May 2018
- Keeping Patients in the Know—April 2018
- Customization—Friend or Foe?—March 2018
- Clinical Decision Support and Medication Safety—It Can Start with Dispensing—January 2018
Patient Safety Update Archive
- Patient ID, Troublesome Technology or Poor Implementation?—December 2017
- Copy and Paste—October 2017
- The Interoperability Challenge—August 2017
- Double Vision - Duplicate Orders—July 2017
- Inadequate Drug Allergy Alert—June 2017
- Downtime not an "if" but a "when" event; be prepared—May 2017
- Is This a Health IT Issue?—March 2017
- Automatic Stop Orders: Medications—January 2017
- Hidden Alert—Fall 2016
- Is there a reason to be alarmed by alerts?—July-August 2016
- Allergy Documentation is Nothing to Sneeze at—June 2016
- Misleading Headlines – What’s in the Patient Header?—April-May 2016
- Information must be available to ensure safe patient care—March 2016
- We have technology - now is it working so that we can?—February 2016
- What Role Can Technology Play in Patient Identification?—Winter 2015-2016
- Overriding Medication Alerts—November 2015
- Discharge instructions—Fall 2015
- Medication and Treatment Timing Is Often a Challenge—Summer 2015
- Newborn's Weight Not Carried Forward to Pharmacy System—May 2015
- Critical Data not Carried Forward—April 2015
- Overriding Medication Alerts—February-March 2015
- The Challenge of Perinatal Charting—Winter 2014-2015
Proceedings and Reports
2017 Annual Report—The theme for 2017, "Transforming Health IT by Embedding Safety," emphasized the transformative role that technology plays in care delivery, as well as the impact it has on safety.
Annual In-Person Partnership Meetings: findings, discussions and agendas from these meetings are made available in proceedings from these meetings.
- Partnering for Transformation: Making a Positive Impact—Held on September 16, 2016
- Partnering for Action: Applying What We've Learned—Held in October 16, 2015
- Partnering for Success—Held in September 23, 2014
ECRI Institute PSO Deep Dive: Health Information Technology—ECRI Institute PSO report, intended to help stakeholders use the findings and recommendations as part of their effort to achieve those goals.
How to Identify and Address Unsafe Conditions Associated with Health IT—An ONC white paper intended to help healthcare organizations lay the foundation for a process to identify health IT hazards, using both internal and external resources written by ECRI Institute and Partnership participants.
Participants and leaders from the Partnership have been spreading the word about the work being done by participating in videos for ECRI Institute and the media.
- YouTube: Compilation video of Partnership leaders—They discuss improving health IT safety through the ongoing collection of adverse events, collaborative learning, and creation of health IT-related resources.
- YouTube: Patient safety movement video on partnering for health IT patient safety—Ronni Solomon, executive vice president and general counsel at ECRI Institute, emphasizes the importance of working together with fellow participants.
- H&HN video: How health IT impacts patient safety—Hear Ronni Solomon, executive vice president and general counsel at ECRI Institute, discuss the Partnership.
Early Partnership Activities
Learn more about how the Partnership was formed and early activities completed.