As the world contends with the COVID-19 pandemic, the top priorities are distribution and administration of safe and effective vaccines. Report vaccine errors or hazards to the ISMP National Vaccine Errors Reporting Program.
- ECRI Position Paper | Pregnancy and COVID-19 Vaccines: A Hopeful Promise of Protection for Mothers and Newborns: People trying to become pregnant or planning to become pregnant do not need to avoid becoming pregnant before or after receiving the COVID-19 vaccine.
- Should FDA Reconsider Allowing the Pooling of COVID-19 Vaccine Doses to Obtain Additional Doses?: ECRI’s affiliate, the Institute for Safe Medication Practices, Cone Health, and others encourage FDA to reconsider the safe and responsible pooling of COVID-19 vaccines.
- FAQ for Maximizing COVID-19 Vaccine Doses: This document is for informational purposes only and is intended to address best practices for optimizing syringe, needle, and related preparation considerations for COVID-19 vaccines.
- Learning from Errors with the New COVID-19 Vaccines: ISMP has received numerous voluntary reports of COVID-19 vaccine errors or hazards happening across the nation and internationally, from vaccine dilution errors to look-alike product mix-ups.
- COVID-19 Lab Webcast Recording | COVID-19 Vaccine Distribution & Administration—Is Your Health System Prepared?: As health systems prepare to deliver the COVID-19 vaccine, there are many questions about distribution and administration.
- ECRI Exclusive Hazard Report | Dry Ice for Storing Vaccines–How to Handle It Safely: Healthcare personnel involved with vaccine storage and administration do not typically handle dry ice and may not be familiar with its hazards and required safety measures.
- Handling Dry Ice–Know the Risks: It is important to understand the risks to ensure that appropriate safety precautions are taken when handling dry ice.
- Institute For Safe Medication Practices | Learning from Influenza Vaccine Errors to Prepare for COVID-19 Vaccination Campaigns: Consumers have been responding to the advice of healthcare experts and getting influenza (flu) vaccinations in record numbers this year,1 which will help reduce the burden on the healthcare system due to the dual threat of the flu and coronavirus disease 2019 (COVID-19).
Resources for healthcare professionals
Our free resources include emergency preparedness and infection control guidelines, checklists, and tools; supply chain resources, and guidance for aging care facilities. Additional resources and services are available through ECRI’s membership programs. Contact us today to learn more.
* All material in this COVID-19 Resource Center, https://www.ecri.org/coronavirus-covid-19-outbreak-preparedness-center/, is protected by copyright, and all rights are reserved under international and Pan-American copyright conventions. However, in light of current circumstances, due to the COVID-19 pandemic, ECRI will permit the ECRI content accessible from this COVID-19 Resource Center to be reproduced and shared, in whole or in part, for non-commercial purposes only. If you desire to reproduce or share content from third-party sources cited within this Center, you must first seek approval from that third-party source.