COVID-19 Resources for Supply Chain
Hospitals and other healthcare facilities that are responding to the COVID-19 outbreak are looking for alternative suppliers of certain personal protective equipment (PPE) and life-saving medical technology. Many facilities are experiencing shortages of PPE, including masks, gowns and gloves .
The depth and breadth of our medical technology databases enables us to benchmark pricing on nearly 2 million supplies and more than 100,000 capital equipment items. We are expanding access to our exclusive content to help you respond to COVID-19 with the free resources listed below. Additional comprehensive content is available on our membership websites. Through these programs and customized consulting services, we assure smart purchasing choices and safe patient care. Please contact us to learn more.
ECRI and AHRMM collaboration – vetting non-traditional suppliers
ECRI is working with AHRMM to provide lists of non-traditional suppliers offering PPE supplies. In this collaboration, AHRMM is tracking non-traditional domestic suppliers and ECRI is tracking non-traditional international suppliers. Download the ECRI list here.
High-Priority ECRI Alerts
- ECRI Statement on Equitable Distribution of COVID-19 Vaccine
- Sterile Pairs Exam Gloves: May Be Contaminated with Unknown Substance
- Decontamination of N95 Respirators: UV Light May Be Considered for Limited Reuse Situations
- Recommendations for Reprocessing Flexible Endoscopes Used on COVID-19 Patients
- Use of Automatic Chemical Disinfection Systems May Lead to Chemical Exposure and Equipment Damage
NEW White Paper | Lessons of COVID-19: Three Actions for a More Resilient Supply Chain: The challenges faced by supply chain professionals during the COVID-19 pandemic included shortages of critical PPE supplies, overreliance on supplies from China, and purchases from non-traditional international suppliers creating uncertainty about safety during an unprecedented health crisis.
- N95 Mask Testing Program: By testing imported masks, as well as isolation gowns, ECRI is helping healthcare organizations validate products prior to purchase and verify the safety and quality of products already in inventory.
- Leveraging ECRI’s Expertise: Vetting Non-Traditional Suppliers During Emergency Situations and the Recovery Phase: Recent experience with COVID-19 has shown purchasing PPE products and COVID-19 supplies from non-traditional suppliers, especially those outside the US, is a challenge for many providers.
- ECRI is collaborating with The Association for Health Care Resource & Materials Management (AHRMM) to provide lists of non-traditional suppliers offering PPE supplies. In this collaboration, AHRMM is tracking non-traditional domestic suppliers and ECRI is tracking non-traditional international suppliers. The combined effort and solution will help providers vet non-traditional suppliers and provide assurance that they have been assessed by each organization.
- COVID-19 Lab Webcast | Ultrasound in the Age of COVID-19: Guidance through the Recovery and Future Planning: View the recording of our May 13, 2020, live-streamed lab webcast, that provides guidance on the use of point-of-care ultrasound (POCUS) during and after the COVID-19 pandemic.
- COVID-19 Lab Webcast | Renal Replacement Therapy and COVID-19 Patients: View the recording of our May 6, 2020, live-streamed lab webcast, that discussed concerns related to renal replacement therapy amid the COVID-19 crisis.
- COVID-19 Technology Management Resources: Checklists, equipment recommendations, alternate suppliers, and infection control guidelines to help biomedical and clinical engineers, supply chain professionals, and clinicians prepare for contagious outbreaks.
- COVID-19 Lab Webcast | N95 Respirators-New Guidance for Addressing Shortages: View the recording of our April 15, 2020, live-streamed lab webcast, for updated recommendations from ECRI experts on new CDC recommendations, expanded decontamination options—Sterrad and Battelle, and importing of equivalent N95 masks.
- COVID-19 Lab Webcast | Infusion Therapy-Conserving Supplies in the Age of COVID-19: View a recording of our April 8, 2020, live-streamed lab webcast, where ECRI and ISMP experts discussed how to manage infusion therapies during the COVID-19 pandemic.
- COVID-19 Lab Webcast | Using Anesthesia Units for Patient Ventilators: View a recording of our April 7, 2020, live-streamed lab webcast, to understand how anesthesia units can be used for ICU ventilation with planning, how you should prepare to utilize anesthesia units for ICU ventilation, including sources and supplies, and where to find detailed guidance.
- Intensive Care Ventilators Overview: Understand ventilator technology as it pertains to the intensive care setting, including their design, operation, use, and cost considerations. Compare currently marketed models in the accompanying Product Comparison, which includes suppliers and their models from around the world.
- Anesthesia Units Overview: Principles of operation, purchase considerations, and much more in one place, aligned with a Product Comparison of currently marketed models that are sourced and available globally.
- Transport Ventilators Overview: Understand transport ventilator technology, including their unique needs, clinical use, and cost considerations. Compare currently marketed models in the accompanying Product Comparison.
- COVID-19 Lab Webcast | Strategies to Mitigate Ventilator Shortages: This recording of our April 1, 2020, live-streamed lab tour, provides an understanding of how to strategize ventilator deployment when supplies are short, how and when to split one ventilator to treat two patients, and how to ensure that a ventilator is safe to use.
- COVID-19 Lab Webcast | Safe Respirator Usage When Supplies Are Short: This recording of our March 25, 2020, live-streamed lab tour, features recommendations from ECRI experts on how to use N95 respirators safely when normal procedures are challenging due to shortages.
- COVID-19 FAQs | Your Questions Answered: Get answers to your frequently asked questions for COVID-19 relating to clinical, infection prevention, patient safety, and supply chain concerns.
- Clinical Evidence Assessment | Infection Risk from Scrubs Worn Outside Patient Care Settings: This report focuses on assessing evidence to determine whether wearing scrubs outside patient care settings and returning to the care setting increases the risk of transmitting infections.
- Webinar Recording | Combating COVID-19 Together: This webinar is design to assist healthcare professionals assess their preparedness in responding to the COVID-19 pandemic.
- Emergency Preparedness Device List: A list of bioterrorism and emergency preparedness devices organized according to ECRI's Universal Medical Device Nomenclature System (UMDNS) device terms.
- Personal Protective Equipment Alternative Suppliers: A comprehensive go-to directory of alternative suppliers organized by equipment type: respirators, shoe
- Portable and Transport Ventilator Evaluations: Overview and ratings of ventilators used for in-hospital transport, long-term care, and mass-casualty critical care.
- Disinfectant Concentrations and Contact Times for EPA's List of Products Effective against Novel Coronavirus SARS-CoV-2, the Cause of COVID-19: This table lists disinfectant concentrations and contact times for EPA's List N, which covers antimicrobial products effective against novel coronavirus SARS-CoV-2. This will help you ensure you're using an effective disinfectant at a sufficient concentration and contact time to kill SARS-CoV-2, the cause of COVID-19.
* All material in this COVID-19 Resource Center, https://www.ecri.org/coronavirus-covid-19-outbreak-preparedness-center/, is protected by copyright, and all rights are reserved under international and Pan-American copyright conventions. However, in light of current circumstances, due to the COVID-19 pandemic, ECRI will permit the ECRI content accessible from this COVID-19 Resource Center to be reproduced and shared, in whole or in part, for non-commercial purposes only. If you desire to reproduce or share content from third-party sources cited within this Center, you must first seek approval from that third-party source.