COVID-19 Resources for Supply Chain
Hospitals and other healthcare facilities that are currently assessing their preparedness or actively responding to the COVID-19 outbreak are looking for alternative suppliers of certain personal protective equipment (PPE) and life-saving medical technology, including ventilators. While most facilities may have initial supplies of goggles, masks, and gowns on hand for emergencies, shortages are already occurring.
The depth and breadth of our medical technology databases enables us to benchmark pricing on nearly 2 million supplies and more than 100,000 capital equipment items. We are expanding access to our exclusive content to help you respond to COVID-19 with the free resources listed below. Additional comprehensive content is available on our membership websites. Through these programs and customized consulting services, we assure smart purchasing choices and safe patient care. Please contact us to learn more.
High-Priority ECRI Alerts
- NEW (July 22, 2020) | Use of Automatic Chemical Disinfection Systems May Lead to Chemical Exposure and Equipment Damage
- UPDATED (July 20, 2020) Considerations for Smoke Evacuation during Non-Deferrable Surgery
- NEW July 9, 2020 | Considerations for Endoscopy Procedures
- Cleaning and Disinfection without Appropriate Training May Result in Damage to Equipment
- Ventilators in Isolation Rooms May Fail to Alert Clinicians of Critical Alarm Conditions
- Ventilators Obtained from Storage, Unknown Sources, or Accelerated Manufacturing Require Inspection before Patient Use
- UPDATED (July 22, 2020) | Coronavirus Support Product Equivalents: Best matches for the three most popular air clearance units, breathing circuits, disinfecting wipes, HME filters, IV solutions, and universal transfer media. Proprietary database includes manufacturer name, catalog number, percentage match, median price, and KPI details.
- UPDATED (July 22, 2020) | Personal Protective Equipment (PPE) Supply Equivalents: Best matches for the three most popular exam gloves, disinfecting wipes, face shields, isolation gowns, IV solutions, N95 air purifying respirators, shoe covers, surgical masks, and universal transport medium based on key performance indicators (KPIs) and functional equivalence. Proprietary database includes manufacturer name, catalog number, percentage match, median price, and KPI details.
- Leveraging ECRI’s Expertise: Vetting Non-Traditional Suppliers During Emergency Situations and the Recovery Phase: Recent experience with COVID-19 has shown purchasing PPE products and COVID-19 supplies from non-traditional suppliers, especially those outside the US, is a challenge for many providers.
- ECRI is collaborating with The Association for Health Care Resource & Materials Management (AHRMM) to provide lists of non-traditional suppliers offering PPE supplies. In this collaboration, AHRMM is tracking non-traditional domestic suppliers and ECRI is tracking non-traditional international suppliers. The combined effort and solution will help providers vet non-traditional suppliers and provide assurance that they have been assessed by each organization.
- COVID-19 Lab Webcast | Ultrasound in the Age of COVID-19: Guidance through the Recovery and Future Planning: View the recording of our May 13, 2020, live-streamed lab webcast, that provides guidance on the use of point-of-care ultrasound (POCUS) during and after the COVID-19 pandemic.
- COVID-19 Lab Webcast | Renal Replacement Therapy and COVID-19 Patients: View the recording of our May 6, 2020, live-streamed lab webcast, that discussed concerns related to renal replacement therapy amid the COVID-19 crisis.
- COVID-19 Technology Management Resources: Checklists, equipment recommendations, alternate suppliers, and infection control guidelines to help biomedical and clinical engineers, supply chain professionals, and clinicians prepare for contagious outbreaks.
- COVID-19 Lab Webcast | N95 Respirators-New Guidance for Addressing Shortages: View the recording of our April 15, 2020, live-streamed lab webcast, for updated recommendations from ECRI experts on new CDC recommendations, expanded decontamination options—Sterrad and Battelle, and importing of equivalent N95 masks.
- COVID-19 Lab Webcast | Infusion Therapy-Conserving Supplies in the Age of COVID-19: View a recording of our April 8, 2020, live-streamed lab webcast, where ECRI and ISMP experts discussed how to manage infusion therapies during the COVID-19 pandemic.
- COVID-19 Lab Webcast | Using Anesthesia Units for Patient Ventilators: View a recording of our April 7, 2020, live-streamed lab webcast, to understand how anesthesia units can be used for ICU ventilation with planning, how you should prepare to utilize anesthesia units for ICU ventilation, including sources and supplies, and where to find detailed guidance.
- Intensive Care Ventilators Overview: Understand ventilator technology as it pertains to the intensive care setting, including their design, operation, use, and cost considerations. Compare currently marketed models in the accompanying Product Comparison, which includes suppliers and their models from around the world.
- Anesthesia Units Overview: Principles of operation, purchase considerations, and much more in one place, aligned with a Product Comparison of currently marketed models that are sourced and available globally.
- Transport Ventilators Overview: Understand transport ventilator technology, including their unique needs, clinical use, and cost considerations. Compare currently marketed models in the accompanying Product Comparison.
- COVID-19 Lab Webcast | Strategies to Mitigate Ventilator Shortages: This recording of our April 1, 2020, live-streamed lab tour, provides an understanding of how to strategize ventilator deployment when supplies are short, how and when to split one ventilator to treat two patients, and how to ensure that a ventilator is safe to use.
- Critical Care and Emergency Care Treatment Room Equipment List: This excel file provides current 2020 budget pricing to outfit critical care and emergency treatment rooms with medical equipment. Each tab in the worksheet is a list of medical equipment only. Other items not included are furniture and IT equipment. Supply chain personnel should consider reviewing this list with their respective clinical service department as their workflows and patient population may require either additional equipment or a different quantity of equipment. For medical equipment planning needs, contact ECRI at email@example.com.
- COVID-19 Lab Webcast | Safe Respirator Usage When Supplies Are Short: This recording of our March 25, 2020, live-streamed lab tour, features recommendations from ECRI experts on how to use N95 respirators safely when normal procedures are challenging due to shortages.
- COVID-19 FAQs | Your Questions Answered: Get answers to your frequently asked questions for COVID-19 relating to clinical, infection prevention, patient safety, and supply chain concerns.
- Clinical Evidence Assessment | Infection Risk from Scrubs Worn Outside Patient Care Settings: This report focuses on assessing evidence to determine whether wearing scrubs outside patient care settings and returning to the care setting increases the risk of transmitting infections.
- Webinar Recording | Combating COVID-19 Together: This webinar is design to assist healthcare professionals assess their preparedness in responding to the COVID-19 pandemic.
- Emergency Preparedness Device List: A list of bioterrorism and emergency preparedness devices organized according to ECRI's Universal Medical Device Nomenclature System (UMDNS) device terms.
- Personal Protective Equipment Alternative Suppliers: A comprehensive go-to directory of alternative suppliers organized by equipment type: respirators, shoe
- Portable and Transport Ventilator Evaluations: Overview and ratings of ventilators used for in-hospital transport, long-term care, and mass-casualty critical care.
- Disinfectant Concentrations and Contact Times for EPA's List of Products Effective against Novel Coronavirus SARS-CoV-2, the Cause of COVID-19: This table lists disinfectant concentrations and contact times for EPA's List N, which covers antimicrobial products effective against novel coronavirus SARS-CoV-2. This will help you ensure you're using an effective disinfectant at a sufficient concentration and contact time to kill SARS-CoV-2, the cause of COVID-19.
* All material in this COVID-19 Resource Center, https://www.ecri.org/coronavirus-covid-19-outbreak-preparedness-center/, is protected by copyright, and all rights are reserved under international and Pan-American copyright conventions. However, in light of current circumstances, due to the COVID-19 pandemic, ECRI will permit the ECRI content accessible from this COVID-19 Resource Center to be reproduced and shared, in whole or in part, for non-commercial purposes only. If you desire to reproduce or share content from third-party sources cited within this Center, you must first seek approval from that third-party source.