As a healthcare professional, you make it your mission to deliver safe, cost-effective care. ECRI supports you in this mission. Our interdisciplinary staff is here to help you address your most challenging issues in your preparation and response to COVID-19. We have compiled some free resources below to assist you. Additional comprehensive content is available on our membership websites. Please contact us to learn more.
COVID-19 resource collections
Visit these COVID-19 resource pages often for the latest information and life-saving resources.
High-Priority ECRI Alerts
- NEW (May 29, 2020) | Guidance for Temporary Airborne Isolation of COVID-19 Patients Undergoing Aerosol-Generating Procedures
- The Transfer of Loaned Equipment during the COVID-19 Response Could Lead to Breach of Sensitive Information
- Philips— Respironics E30 Ventilators: ECRI Assessment of Emergency Use Authorization Device
- The Use of Loaned or Warehoused Devices during the COVID-19 Response Could Pose Security Risk
- Recommendations for Emergency Power Outlet Management at Peak Resource Use
Hospitals & health systems
- NEW Position Statement (May 21, 2020) | Post-ICU Syndrome: The Coming Wave That Needs Attention Now: New ECRI research examines the dangers and likelihood of Post-Intensive Care Syndrome (PICS) for recovered COVID-19 patients that experienced a long time in the ICU and mechanical ventilation.
- NEW Webinar Recording (May 15, 2020) | Medication Safety During COVID-19: What Have We Learned?: Join ECRI and ISMP experts as they sit down with front-line medication safety practitioners to discuss changes that have been necessary to protect staff and support patients during the SARS-CoV-2 pandemic.
- ECRI Position Statement | COVID-19 Models: Why do Projections Differ?: ECRI examines the multiple data models for COVID-19 and the reasons why projections will differ.
- ECRI Position Statement | The Role of Genetics in the COVID-19 Pandemic: Understanding the genetics at play in this pandemic is important for recognizing how the disease manifests and developing safe and effective vaccines and treatments.
- Webinar Recording | Triage Decisions About Ventilator Use: What Does the Evidence Suggest?: ECRI examines the effectiveness of triage systems for identifying disease severity and mortality risk to inform decisions on scarce resource allocation during pandemics.
- ECRI Position Statement | Temperature Screening to Prevent COVID-19 Transmission: Creating False Security: ECRI advises what we now know about SARS CoV 2 indicates temperature screening and questionnaires are a very problematic theory about how to reduce transmission.
- Webinar Recording | Empathetic Communication and Caring for the Caregiver During COVID-19: View the recording of our April 16, 2020 webinar with RLDatix that combined the clinical side of the COVID-19 battle (the head) with the need to provide emotional first aid for caregivers (the heart).
- COVID-19 Technology Management Resources: Checklists, equipment recommendations, alternate suppliers, and infection control guidelines to help biomedical and clinical engineers, supply chain professionals, and clinicians prepare for contagious outbreaks.
- ECRI Position Statement | Prudent use of SARS-CoV-2 antibody testing: Avoiding false assumptions: ECRI recommends using a cautious approach and avoiding over-interpreting what these tests can show and how to apply information obtained from these tests.
- Webinar Recording | Infrared Temperature Screening to Reduce Infection Transmission by Visitors and Staff during Outbreaks: What Does the Evidence Support?: This webinar focuses on the evidence pertaining to External Infrared (IR) Temperature Screening Devices used with or without a questionnaire and the overall effectiveness of using this strategy to identify persons who may be infected with COVID-19.
- Webinar Recording | Combating COVID-19 Together: This webinar is design to assist healthcare professionals assess their preparedness in responding to the COVID-19 pandemic.
- Podcast: Assessing Preparedness for COVID-19 Outbreak: This podcast discusses the virus in the context of outbreak preparedness and what healthcare providers can do to get ready.
- Burnout and Its Impact on Patient Safety: Healthcare workers, already strained by the flu season, could soon be overrun by COVID-19 cases. This guidance article, published by ECRI last year, provides helpful tips for hospital staff during these stressful times.
- Disinfectant Concentrations and Contact Times for EPA's List of Products Effective against Novel Coronavirus SARS-CoV-2, the Cause of COVID-19: This table lists disinfectant concentrations and contact times for EPA's List N, which covers antimicrobial products effective against novel coronavirus SARS-CoV-2. This will help you ensure you're using an effective disinfectant at a sufficient concentration and contact time to kill SARS-CoV-2, the cause of COVID-19.
- Portable and Transport Ventilator Evaluations: Overview and ratings of ventilators used for in-hospital transport, long-term care, and mass-casualty critical care.
Ambulatory & outpatient care
- Hand Hygiene: Proper hand hygiene can reduce the spread of COVID-19. This guidance article provides healthcare workers in the ambulatory and outpatient care settings a detailed set of guidelines for proper hand hygiene.
- Infection Prevention & Control: This guidance article provides an overview of infection prevention and control in the ambulatory and outpatient care setting. Strategies provided in this document can help to reduce infection-related liability by being able to demonstrate that the office has effective policies and procedures in place to prevent and manage infections.
The impact of COVID-19 in behavioral health
- The Lancet | COVID-19: the gendered impacts of the outbreak
- Lancet Psychiatry | Mental health care for medical staff in China during the COVID-19 outbreak
- The Lancet | Mitigate the effects of home confinement on children during the COVID-19 outbreak
- Lancet Psychiatry | Psychological interventions for people affected by the COVID-19 epidemic
- U.S. Department of Health and Human Services (HHS) Public Health Emergency | COVID-19 Healthcare Planning Checklist: This checklist is adapted from a variety of HHS Pandemic Influenza Pandemic Planning resources. It identifies specific activities your jurisdiction can do now to prepare for, respond to, and be resilient in the face of COVID-19.
- Centers for Disease Control | Handwashing: Clean Hands Save Lives Poster: Printable posters that can be used to help raise awareness about handwashing in highly visible public areas, such as schools, workplaces, and restrooms. They are designed for all audiences, and some are available in multiple sizes and languages.
Consulting & certification programs
- Infection Prevention Consultation: On-site consultations with ECRI’s certified infection preventionists to identify vulnerabilities that may result in increased infections
- Healthcare Environmental Management Certification Program: The only comprehensive online certification and training program for Healthcare Environmental Management (HEM) with focused training on personal protective equipment and infection control.
Resources for healthcare professionals
Our free resources include emergency preparedness and infection control guidelines, checklists, and tools; supply chain resources, and guidance for aging care facilities. Additional resources and services are available through ECRI’s membership programs. Contact us today to learn more.
* All material in this COVID-19 Resource Center, https://www.ecri.org/coronavirus-covid-19-outbreak-preparedness-center/, is protected by copyright, and all rights are reserved under international and Pan-American copyright conventions. However, in light of current circumstances, due to the COVID-19 pandemic, ECRI will permit the ECRI content accessible from this COVID-19 Resource Center to be reproduced and shared, in whole or in part, for non-commercial purposes only. If you desire to reproduce or share content from third-party sources cited within this Center, you must first seek approval from that third-party source.