COVID-19 Resource Center
ECRI has developed this resource center to help hospitals, ambulatory care, and aging care facilities protect healthcare workers, residents, and patients.
Thank you to all the healthcare workers on the frontline combating COVID-19. You are truly heroes.
Assisting the healthcare community in responding to the COVID-19 pandemic
The World Health Organization named the COVID-19 outbreak associated with transmission of the novel coronavirus (SARS-CoV-2) a global pandemic. First reported from Wuhan, China, 12/31/19, the virus has rapidly spread across continents, with increasing numbers of confirmed cases and deaths. The epidemic poses a potent economic threat as well as a public health crisis.
Recently added resources
- NEW Lab Series Tour (March 26, 2020) | Safe Respirator Usage When Supplies Are Short: This recording of our March 25, 2020, live-streamed lab tour, featuring recommendations from ECRI experts on how to use N95 respirators safely when normal procedures are challenging due to shortages.
- NEW (March 26, 2020) | ISMP Medication Safety Alert: This special edition newsletter revisits the need for MDI (metered-dose inhalers) common canister protocols to prevent drug shortages during the COVID-19 pandemic.
- NEW Alert (March 25, 2020) | HHS Temporarily Allows Use of Consumer Audio or Video Chat Applications for Telemedicine Use: Dept of Health and Human Services (HHS) allows consumer audio and video chat for telemedicine during COVID-19
- NEW Clinical Evidence Assessment (March 25, 2020) | Infrared Temperature Screening to Identify Potentially Infected Staff or Visitors Presenting to Healthcare Facilities during Infectious Disease Outbreaks: ECRI’s evidence review indicates Infrared Temperature screening is ineffective for detecting infected persons. Using this approach to reduce infection risk from visitors and staff could provide a false sense of safety.
- UDPATED (March 18, 2020) | Personal Protective Equipment (PPE) Supply Equivalents: Best matches for the three most popular exam gloves, disinfecting wipes, isolation gowns, IV solutions, N95 air purifying respirators, shoe covers, and surgical masks, based on key performance indicators (KPIs) and functional equivalence. Proprietary database includes manufacturer name, catalog number, percentage match, median price, and KPI details.
Resources for healthcare professionals
Our free resources include emergency preparedness and infection control guidelines, checklists, and tools; supply chain resources, and guidance for aging care facilities. Additional resources and services are available through ECRI’s membership programs. Contact us today to learn more.
- CDC | COVID-19 Patient Impact & Hospital Capacity Module
- FDA | Enforcement Policy for Face Masks and Respirators During the Coronavirus Disease (COVID-19) Public Health Emergency
- FDA | FAQs on 3D Printing of Medical Devices, Accessories, Components, and Parts During the COVID-19 Pandemic
- FDA | FAQs on Diagnostic Testing for SARS-CoV-2
ECRI in the news
- March 25, 20202 | Bloomberg Environment: White House Gets Georgia to Reopen Sterilizers to Fight Virus
- March 25, 2020 | Morningstar: Soaring demand for ventilators creates political tension, promises to ramp up manufacturing
- March 25, 2020 | Fortune: The U.S. needs more ventilators. Why can’t it make them in time?
- March 21, 2020 | Oregon Live: Frontline health care workers face pandemic with dwindling protective gear. 'It's a total insult.'
- March 18, 2020 | Seattle Times: Bothell ventilator maker Ventec ramps up production amid a surge in coronavirus patients
External Resource Centers
- AHRMM Novel Coronavirus (COVID-19) Update
- American Hospital Association
- Association for Professionals in Infection Control and Epidemiology (APIC) COVID-19 Resources
- The BMJ
- Centers for Disease Control and Prevention
- Cochrane Library
- Johns Hopkins Medicine
- Journal of the American Medical Association (JAMA)
- The Lancet
- New England Journal of Medicine (NEJM)
- World Health Organization