Safe patient handling is a complex issue that requires careful consideration of many factors. Unsafe patient handling can result in bruises and skin tears, falls, or staff injury. Nurses suffering from musculoskeletal pain due to patient lifting, repositioning, and transfers may be reluctant to perform these tasks, resulting in limited patient movement and mobilization.
Customized Reviews for Safer Patient Handling
ECRI Institute's experienced consultants are uniquely qualified to help you develop a proactive, implementable, and safe patient handling program based on your facility's individual needs, which in turn reduces costs from workers' compensation claims.
A Proven Approach to Making Your Hospital Safer
Our Patient Handling Safety Review follows a systematic approach that analyzes your facility's current culture, infrastructure, practices, and technology. Our experts interview key stakeholders, tour pertinent areas, and explore factors such as:
- Patient lifting and transfer technology
- Size and weight capacity of patient-handling equipment
- Equipment and accessory maintenance
- Policies, protocols, and algorithms for safe handling
- Size of care areas and architectural layout
- Patient populations
- Staffing patterns and models
- Delineation of responsibility and accountability
- Training and education
- Actual practices
Take the First Step to Protecting Your Patients and Staff
To learn more, contact us today at (610) 825-6000, ext. 5655 or email@example.com.