This is the second in a six part course on medication safety. This course provides an overview of the Joint Commission's medication management standards.
AMA PRA Category 1 Credit™
The ECRI Institute designates this educational activity for a maximum of 0.75 AMA PRA Category 1 Credit(s)™. Physicians should only claim credit commensurate with the extent of their participation in the activity.
After completing this course you should be able to:
- Recognize the topics covered by Joint Commission's medication management standards.
- Recognize the types of medication orders for which facilities must define what is considered a complete order.
- Recall Joint Commission's minimum requirements for making patient-specific information available to caregivers involved in the medication management process.
- Recognize Joint Commission standards for preparing and dispensing medications.
- Recognize Joint Commission requirements for medication administration.
- Recognize Joint Commission requirements for monitoring the effects of medication on a patient.
- Recall medications identified by Joint Commission as high-risk.
This course is designed to develop desirable physician attributes including cognitive expertise as defined by the American Board of Medical Specialties’ Maintenance of Certification.
This attribute will help the physician meet the Institute of Medicine competency to
- work in interdisciplinary teams
- apply quality improvement
and the Accreditation Council for Graduate Medical Education and the American Board of Medical Specialties’ competency of
- medical knowledge
- practice-based learning and improvement
- interpersonal and communication skills
Click here to return to information on ECRI Institute’s e-Learn and CME course catalog.